bibis (Bildungswerk des Bielefelder Schulvereins e.V.) is a committed, government-approved institute of education. We are a team of approx. 40 staff members, and our work is examination-orientated.
We strive to offer you a qualified course design and qualified teaching, which will enable you to reach your language goals in the shortest possible time. The students’ welfare is of utmost concern to us. We take great care to provide a friendly and relaxed atmosphere, with emphasis on communication. We appreciate personal contact.
To optimise your course experience, we offer the following services:
- Qualified language counselling
- Placement test
- Careful selection of the course that suits you best
- Internationally mixed groups, with students from over 80 countries
- Homogenous classes, from beginner to advanced level
- Regular performance assessment and examinations, as well as examination preparations
- Information on council services and departments
- Assistance with visa matters
- Arranging for insurance cover
- Arranging for accommodation
- Individual counselling throughout the whole time of your language training at bibis
- Counselling and assistance with university applications
In 1973, the responsible body of today’s bibis, the Bielefelder Schulverein e.V.[Bielefeld School Association; a registered non-profit association], was founded by academic lecturers and professors as well as local menbers of the public. In 1982, after an agreement with the Principal’s Office of Bielefeld University, the association was assigned the task of providing language training for foreign university and Studienkolleg applicants. In 1987 bibis – Bildungswerk des Bielefelder Schulvereins – was founded. We work in accordance with the guidelines of the North Rhine-Westfalian Law of Further Education and were approved as an institue of extracurricular education by the Minister of Education and Arts of North Rhine-Westfalia. bibis sees itself as an ambassador for language and culture.
bibis is situated in the heart of Bielefeld. Our seminar rooms are in a building complex which formerly housed a machine factory. In this attractive historic work of architecture, a project of the EXPO 2000 was realised: Dürkopp Tor 6 [Dürkopp Gate 6], a model project combining vocational education and the living together of young people.
Next to our school, there is a modern youth hotel, a centre for vocational and extracurricular education, and an independant theatre. Our school, in the historic part of the building, is completely renovated. The technical equipment is state-of the-art, and the rooms are light and spacious. Our computer language lab with educational software and internet access is available for teaching purposes, but also as a self-learn centre after class. The bibis staff members are there for help and advice.
With bibis you find a team of committed mother-tongue teachers. It is our policy that all of them have a qualified educational and subject-specific education, as well as many years of teaching practice, which is regularly 'updated’ through further teacher training. But most important: They enjoy their work. What our students appreciate very much is that a class is taught by teams of three, where older and younger colleagues form an ideal mixture of experience, vigour, and individual competence. Do you have any questions, requests, or critical comments? Don't hesitate! Your teachers will have a sympathetic ear for you, even after class. They are happy to help you with practical advice and tips for making the most of your stay in Bielefeld.
Those who learn with interest and joy, learn faster and better. Therefore your lessons are
- in international learner groups
- communication-orientated and varied
- in accordance with state-of-the-art educational methodology
- with up-to-date teaching materials and modern media
- with regular performance assessment
- in a relaxed and motivating atmosphere where learning is fun.
For we know from experience: This concept is the best way to fast and guaranteed achievements.
Our students come from all over the world. In 2012 people from 96 nations attended our courses, many of them on the recommendation of former bibis students. A lot of students aim at taking the language proficiency examinations that are prerequisite for the admission to studies at German institutes of higher education. But we also have students who came to Bielefeld for professional reasons or through private contacts. We have a further advantage that makes us attractive for learning German: In and around Bielefeld most people do not speak a form of dialect but standard German.
- TestDaF Institute of the Ruhr-Universität Bochum
- Bielefeld University of Applied Sciences
- Bielefeld University
- Fachverband Deutsch als Fremdsprache (FaDaF)
- Landesarbeitsgemeinschaft für eine andere Weiterbildung NRW (LAAW)